Antioch, TN asked in Child Support and Small Claims for Mississippi

Q: Can I sue my mom for my child support settlement received from my dad

I'm 19 have my own house and I'm going through financial difficulties. My mom is on the verge of receiving a huge lump sum off my dad's child support case. It's my bad child support and my younger sisters. Is there anyway I can petition to recieve my own back time child support and she only receives my younger sisters potion.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Potentially. You will need to consult an attorney to discuss your case. One of the things that I am curious about is whether you went through the process of being emancipated. If that is the case, then any child support should be sent to you, as it is meant to be used for your benefit, and no one else's.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.