Baton Rouge, LA asked in Banking, Criminal Law and Internet Law for Louisiana

Q: Hi, I have a question about felony computer fraud.

My husband has been charged with felony computer fraud in Tangipahoa parish. His stepfather alleges that my husband stole his bank account info and used it fraudulently. The fact is that my husband’s mother authorized it, told him it was okay. She is the one who provided the bank acct info to my husband, and told him to use it as he saw fit. The stepfather left that part out with the police. Or perhaps she didn’t tell him what she did? Either way they are married although her name is not on the bank acct as far as I know. There are extenuating circumstances that make it obvious that the stepfather is being vindictive and has ulterior motives. Does this constitute felony computer fraud if the mother authorized the use of her husbands acct? How do we handle this issue?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You handle it by hiring a criminal defense attorney & not giving a statement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.