Anniston, AL asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for Alabama

Q: What are the legal options in order to force a freelance client to pay me the money that they agree they owe?

I have a freelance client that agrees that she owes me $220. I wrote a set of articles for my client. They were supposed to be paid for within 30 days of submission date (Jan). After I wrote the articles she stopped answering my emails. I kept emailing her in December to get the best email address for invoicing. It took her about a month to respond. I had to send her messages on Twitter, and on her company website in order to get her to respond. Since then she has said every week, and sometimes several days in a week that she will send payment or partial payment. She never does and the next day I send her an email asking her to pay me. Then she promises to pay again. Basically every day for 3 months she made promises of payment. I have everything in writing, do I have any legal options? I realize that it's not a lot of money, but it's money I worked for and keep getting lied to about.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Loxley, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The fact summary sets out a “quantum meruit” claim, or “unjust enrichment.”

A written agreement and evidence of breach has a higher chance of success, but her email admission of the claim can be presented in small claims court, where you should file this case. Request all of your losses and costs as damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.