Philadelphia, PA asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: My 4 year old son

My ex boyfriend father of my 4 year old son took him out of state of ohio and moved to my without taking it to court to get his rights he is not in birth certificate and now i only get him every over weekend. Can he do that? And i have a 2 year old daughter with him he hasnt been in her life since I was pregnant when does he lose his rights to her and i want my boyfriend to adopt her he has been with mw since I was 2 months pregnant can we do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your current bf must marry you to be able to adopt. If the ex bf won't return your son, and if there is no court order granting him any parental rights, then contact the police where he is staying, and ask them if they will help you get your son, and if you need to bring anything more than the birth certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.