Los Angeles, CA asked in Civil Litigation and Immigration Law for California

Q: My husband is at an ice detention center and I wanted to know what information could he bring to his first court appear.

We’re just trying to stop them from sending him home.

2 Lawyer Answers

Omid Rejali

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The first appearance is generally a master calendar hearing where the charges against your husband will be read against him. Each case however is different and without knowing the specifics of your husbands case it is extremely difficult to tell you how to prepare for this. I would strongly advise you to have a consultation with an immigration attorney.

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

Carl Shusterman

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As a former INS Trial Attorney, I can assure you that every case is different. He should schedule a legal consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the facts in his case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.