Nashua, NH asked in Elder Law and Collections for Massachusetts

Q: Parent received a large bill from the Rehab/nursing home she was in for a few months. Medicare paid their portion.

She was told she has to pay the balance. She has an annuity which is currently paying for the assisted living facility in Beverly. We believe when she runs out of money the assisted living will then go through medicaid for her monthly bills. Should we pay the rehab bill ($11K), try to negotiate a decrease, setup payment plan or do nothing? It has been sent to a collection agency in VT (that's where the rehab is located). VT legal services suggested we contact MA legal help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Are you power of attorney for mother? Is mother competent at this point? If you are power of attorney for her you can try to negotiate with the rehab or you can set up a payment plan. Heep your records for the MassHealth Medicaid application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.