Newark, NJ asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Can a father voluntary give up his parental rights in NJ, giving sole custody to the mother, if both parties agree?

Can the father give up his rights prior to the child being born if both parties agree and mother does not need financial assistance of any kind? The parties are not married and are no longer in a relationship. The father has not been involved or shown any interest in being involved in the child's life since finding out I was pregnant.

1 Lawyer Answer
Paul J. Riviere
Paul J. Riviere
  • Jackson, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Without someone waiting to step into the father's shoes and adopt the child, the father cannot just walk away from his legal ties to the child or his obligation to pay child support. However, with the help of an attorney the parties can have a Consent Order prepared giving the mother sole custody of the child. Father is still legally obligated to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.