Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: I have a question about a close friend currently serving in prison for armed robbery of a business with a firearm.

The crime took place in 2009 when he was 18. He is serving his 9th year now and has participated in several programs to better himself and his life. Is there anything he can do to be released sooner? This crime is his only offense and the judge continues to deny his release. Can he request a new judge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: While there could be a variety of things that could looked at, a commutation of the sentence is a possibility. They are not easy to obtain, so if one is pursued it is recommended to ensure it is done carefully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.