Salem, KY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Kentucky

Q: My grandson has lived with my husband and me since birth. He's almost 5. What can we do to secure his future with us?

My daughter only visits a few times a month. There is no father listed on the birth certificate. The only legal right we have is a notarazied paper giving us permission for medical treatment and for school. My daughter threatens to take him whenever she doesn't get what she wants, and reminds us constantly that we have no rights. At some point, can we ask the court for legal guardianship?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
Mr. Joseph T Ireland
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You can petition the court to be declared a defacto custodian and for custody. Mom likely has the ability to take the child back at any point if you do not have an order from the court granting you custody. You should contact a local family law attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and develop a plan to move forward. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.