Loveland, OH asked in Family Law, Adoption and Probate for Ohio

Q: What if the guardians/adopted parents are sociopathic and pry into the adopted child's life?

I have a case that involves these guardians/adopted parents having a history of stealing money, identification papers and copying federal documents that belonged to the child without the child's permission or notification. The child was also unjustly kicked out by their guardian/adopted parents three times (twice while a being a minor), especially when the child was unable to find an adequate job. On top of that, the child, according to medical records, has Asperger's (or autistic spectrum disorder). The child wishes to remove them perminantly as family members, especially after the guardians denied they took oath for adoption in court. What would be the best action to take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If the person is no longer a minor, but is still under a guardianship, then the person should go to probate court to seek to have the guardians removed. Once removed or replaced, the person could then also remove their names from all financial accounts and set a credit lock with the credit bureaus so they can no longer gain access to money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.