Columbia, MD asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for South Carolina

Q: My daughter has a child with a man she does not want to marry because he’s a drunk w/ potty mouth. Can she get custody?

Man lives at her house does not pay rent or expenses but buys food and groceries at times. When he gets drunk-almost daily, very aggressive punching wall, cursing all the time and call her disrespectful names. My daughter is friend with man’s mother who told her to never marry him, call the cops if he gets violent. We are not comfortable around this person and i need to help my daughter. I’m always afraid he will do something bad to her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Your daughter can file for an order of protection through family court to ask the court to order him out of her house, to grant a restraining order, to grant her custody of her daughter and child support. The petition for an order of protection can be obtained from the family court clerk of court's office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.