Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
South Carolina Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Probate for South Carolina on
Q: Can a person under legal adult guardianship grant general power of attorney to someone who is not their guardian?

The person in question is a 25-year-old who is under the legal adult guardianship of abusive, controlling parents. The guardianship was filed in SC, but the person and their parents are living in MD. The parents have taken the person's phone and control of their money, they have no privacy and... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Aug 29, 2020

I do not practice in South Carolina, so I would recommend along this question to those who are. With that disclaimer, I believe what you will find is that you will need to petition the Court in SC for a modification of the guardianship. You SHOULD have standing as an interested person to challenge... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for South Carolina on
Q: I'm in spartanburg county need attorney advise for slander on false police report
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis answered on Jul 10, 2020

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Slander is a civil matter in which someone defames you by verbal statement to others, knowing that the information that they have provided about you is wrong, with the intent to cause you harm.

A false police report is a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for South Carolina on
Q: Not married but have children and have lived together for almost 15 years.

My long term boyfriend who is also the father of my kids is extremely verbally abusive and occasionally physically abusive to me over his paranoid insecurities. Several police reports have been filed and he was even arrested but not charged in one case. I just want him to move out of the home that... Read more »

Taylor Silver
Taylor Silver answered on Mar 20, 2020

Your only option at this moment in time (given coronavirus closures) is to file a petition for an order of protection or to move out yourself. If you can't afford a local attorney to help with this, assists people with this issue if you qualify.

Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for South Carolina on
Q: Is assault and battery in the first degree a registrable offence?
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Dec 7, 2019

Registration is in the discretion of the sentencing judge based on the allegations.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for South Carolina on
Q: Is order of protection violations extraditable in sc
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton answered on Nov 14, 2019

The answer depends on the amount of time that you are facing in the state you would be extradited to. If the punishment in that state is one year or more the State of South Carolina will extradite. See SC Code 17-9-10.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for South Carolina on
Q: My daughter has a child with a man she does not want to marry because he’s a drunk w/ potty mouth. Can she get custody?

Man lives at her house does not pay rent or expenses but buys food and groceries at times. When he gets drunk-almost daily, very aggressive punching wall, cursing all the time and call her disrespectful names. My daughter is friend with man’s mother who told her to never marry him, call the cops... Read more »

Cheryl Ann Truesdale
Cheryl Ann Truesdale answered on Apr 14, 2018

Your daughter can file for an order of protection through family court to ask the court to order him out of her house, to grant a restraining order, to grant her custody of her daughter and child support. The petition for an order of protection can be obtained from the family court clerk of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.