Monroe, MI asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Small Claims for New York

Q: Can I bring Citibank to small claims court?

I canceled my bank account with Citibank three years ago and Citi said they do not a have a record of any phone conversation documenting that I have attempted to close the account. They have been charging me $25 per month for the the past three years for insufficient funds totaling to approx $600. I moved to Michigan 3 years ago and my legal address has changed. There are no Citi branches within the state or even in the next state closest to me. I called many times to see if I can close the account over the phone and have the charges removed. Citi insisted that they would not be able to close the account and that I would have to appear at a branch in person. I then asked for Citi to freeze my account so that the charges do not keep adding up until I can find a way to resolve this. They say they cannot freeze the account and that charges will continue to be added to the account even if there has been no activity for the past several years. Is this consumer fraud? Do I have a case?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You have not been damaged, so you have no case. You do not even get the $600 you claim should be written off. Just write a certified letter to the General Counsel for the bank saying what you said here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.