Birmingham, AL asked in Sexual Harassment for Alabama

Q: NY resident in Alabama state?

I have permanent residency in the state of New York, with a level III sexual misconduct violation. I work in Alabama but have no residency in Alabama. Law-enforcement in Alabama seems to think I need to register as a sex offender in Alabama even though that is not a registrable offense in New York? I have a house in New York, and a NYS driver license. Wondering why they think I have to register as a sex offender in Alabama?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley

A: I am not licensed in AL. I deal with Sex Offender Registration (SOR) in Arkansas only.

Hire an AL lawyer with experience in SOR issues.

Do NOT rely on lack of registrarion requirement in NY or the “my residence is not in Alabama” game. Reside/residence/temporary residence/temporary time/just-passing-through have burned a lot of people in many states.

1. Alabama has some of the toughest SO statues in the US. If there’s a way to tag you, even a weak one, or incorrect application of law, get ready.

2. I suspect you are running into issues with

a. We don’t want sex offenders here. Especially out of state ones. And they “ain’t” terribly fond of yankees, either (but really, that is too obvious to mention).

b. Code of Alabama sections: 15-20A-14 - Adult sex offender - Requirements upon entering state; 15-20A-4 - Definitions. (20) Reside and possibly 15-20A-13 - Adult sex offender - Employment restrictions.

Hire an Alabama attorney. Immediately. And/or register.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.