West Milford, NJ asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: Can a case that was heard and ruled on 8 months ago go back to court if I feel ruling was unfair?

The other party (my ex) and their attorney presented many pages of text exchanges between ex and my new sig other, I'd say approx 75-100 texts over the course of 6 month for so.. They were all printed out. Some just showed my name, then after I was removed as a "contact" they showed my number. My girlfriend was texting from my phone. Among the ones that just had my name at the top were 2 texts that my ex created, not legit texts. Because there was a message and a reply, and so many other texts that were legit, the judge authenticated ALL of them and ruled in the favor of my ex. The judge basically said if all the others were authentic, it was hard to fathom the other 2 were not. These were the 2 most incriminating ones. Can I bring it back and tell judge he was mistaken?

1 Lawyer Answer
Santo Artusa Jr.
Santo Artusa Jr.
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You would have to file a motion to set aside the order based on what you may believe is fraud/mistake, etc. This usually needs to be filed within 1 year of the order but the sooner the better. Can you prove you did not send that text?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.