Bronx, NY asked in Sexual Harassment for New York

Q: If i work in a office building and employees from another company sexually harassed me, can i sue them for it?

Would it be considered business if i managed the loading dock,packages, fire safety,calling to confirm appointments, for the companys of the building while at the front desk?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Does your employer do business with the other company? If yes have you reported the conduct to your employer?

Sexual harassment claims involve workplaces and employers but you may have an action against an individual for a possible tort or it might be criminal or you might be entitled to an order of protection. Schedule a legal consultation.

Michael Diederich Jr.
Michael Diederich Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Stony Point, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If your company has no power or control over the other companies employees, then the employment discrimination laws do not protect you directly. However, their conduct may be individually tortious. For example, if one touched you without your consent, that would be tortious--a common law battery. If you suffered damages, consult with a qualified lawyer. You may also wish to consider contacting the police, if criminal harassment is involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.