Asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: If I have a bank account with enough money in it to equate 3x the poverty level be enough for sponship of an immigrant.

How long does the money need to be in the account?

Does it have to be in my name only?

Is it possible to have enough assets without an actual income?

It would be much appreciated if someone could find something in writing.

Thank you for your answers :)

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Simon Stepanyan
Simon Stepanyan
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • North Hollywood, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The answer depends on many specific details of your case.

You can find most of the information, with examples, on pages 9-10 of the instructions of USCIS Form I-864 available at


Note that this answer is based on the limited information provided in the question. Legal matters are subject to various outcomes depending on the details of the matter.

Carl Shusterman agrees with this answer

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: An Affidavit of support sponsor may demonstrate the means to maintain the required income by using his or her assets or the assets of the Intending Immigrant, if such assets are available for the support of the intending Immigrant. Assets such as savings accounts, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, real estate, or other assets may be used.

The assets of any person who has signed an affidavit of support Form I-864A Contract between Sponsor and Household member may also be used in meeting the Affidavit of support income requirement. To qualify, the combined cash value of all the assets (i.e the total value of the assets less any offsetting liabilities) must exceed:

If the intending immigrant is the spouse or child of a United States citizen, three times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and the Affidavit of support poverty guideline for the sponsor’s household size.

If the intending immigrant is an alien orphan who will be adopted in the United States after the alien orphan acquires permanent residence the difference between the sponsor’s household income and the Federal poverty line for the sponsor’s household size.

In all other cases, five times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and the Federal poverty line for the sponsor’s household size.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.