Manassas, VA asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Virginia

Q: What type of lawyer do i need if i want to file charges of assault and battery against someone?

I plan to go to the courts and file this friday but i would like to find a lawyer for my case. Its complicated by the fact that the person who came at me is my step daughters mother and there is an active ugly custody case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric D. Yost
Eric D. Yost
  • Charlottesville, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you plan on filing a criminal complaint, you will not need a lawyer, per se, to do so. Once you make a criminal complaint, probable cause established and charges placed on an individual, a Commonwealth Attorney will be assigned to prosecute this/these

crime(s). The Commonwealth of Virginia is the responsible party from this point on. You may also have a civil claim against the accused party also. A civil claim involves awards of money; a criminal charge carries the penalty of fines and/or incarceration. Should you choose to file a civil claim against the accused party, you may contact a civil lawyer to represent you in a civil claim/tort claim against the defendant. Please be aware that there are strict time restrictions on making civil claims in the Commonwealth of


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.