Van Buren, AR asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Do I have a chance of getting my child back if I am a convicted felon?

I currently live in Arkansas but my child lives in Oklahoma he is 13 years old now. At the time he has born me and his mother were married and are still married to this day. His mother had a drug habit and she left him with me for 2 years before she returned. When she returned i allowed her to have visitation because she was still his mother. One day she took him on visitation and did not bring him home to me. I was wheel chair bound at this time due to losing my right leg due to the negligence of a driver. She filed for her grandmother to have custody. I did not receive anything in the mail Becuase THEY put my address down wrong. So I did not show up for court. An Oklahoma judge stripped me of my rights. I moved to Arkansas after I lost my son. I got into drugs and unfortunately now I am a convicted felon. I have turned my life around. Is there a chance for me to get my child back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pryor, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: She very well may have filed for divorce and falsified info about your address. Use one of the internet background check services to see. Then visit with an experienced Family

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.