Southbridge, MA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Massachusetts

Q: I reside in Massachusetts had my child since she was born till I decided willing to let the father have one child

And I have the other we had a verbal agreement things where great up to about two or theee months ago where he stop answering my calls and text and Facebook messages for my daughter he never not once cared to speak to his other daughter that I have but that never stop me from reminding him and seeking my child that he has it’s been three years and I want to fight for custody they have deprived me from my rights all they do is talk bad about me and the father just was recently in jail did not call to tell as I said I have to look for him for our daughters because he just didn’t care to what are my options in court how do I go about it I’ve been depressed crying my self to sleep about this we have not yet went to court for custody at all he resides in N.Jhas been stalling to give me an address for my daughter he allowed his girlfriend to do his parent duties and she defends him he is never around she says he is a good father but a good father will think about the children being together

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are living in Massachusetts with one of the children, Massachusetts has jurisdiction over that child. However, if the other child is living in another state for 3 years Massachusetts does not have jurisdiction over the other child- the other state does . You have not stated whether there was a proceeding in any Court in Massachusetts involved with either child so it is difficult to make suggestions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.