Madison, AL asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: I was on imvu girl claimed to be over 18 had no idea she was 13 till i asked she persuaded me sexually should i worry

Im bipolar dont understand law and if reported how long before arrest

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Gulf Shores, AL

A: Yes, you should worry. You posted this under "Federal Crimes". Its unlikely to be a federal crime, unless you took the girl across a state line for the purpose of having sex with her, or maybe if you had sex with her on federal property, like Redstone Arsenal, which is next door to your town. However, its a very serious state crime under Alabama law to have sex with someone who is underage. There are so many possible sex offenses this might be prosecuted under that's its not possible to list them all here. If on any date you had sex with this child you were 16 years old, or older, and at least two years older than she was at the time, its much more serious, and would be prosecuted as rape in the second degree, a Class B felony. The fact that she enticed you, if that's what she did, is not a defense, and neither is being bipolar and/or not understanding the law, All of that could be true and you'd still be guilty of rape in the second degree. How long you have to worry about this is the rest of your life, because there is no statute of limitations in Alabama for rape under this set of facts. How long between the time its reported and the time they arrest you could vary, depending on how busy the police are in your town, but it won't be long at all. The only advice anyone can give you is to hire the best lawyer you can find and stop posting about it on internet forums. Do not have any further communication with the girl under any circumstances, and speak only to a lawyer about it. Anyone else you discuss it with can be compelled to come into court and testify about what you said, or wrote. Anyone.

WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general information that will deepen your understanding of the legal concept that appears to be an issue for you, that will hopefully guide you in selecting and communicating with a lawyer of your choosing. The reason for all this is that legal problems are intensely fact-driven, and it is impossible to give anyone correct legal advice without comprehensive inquiry by the lawyer into the specific facts of the situation that concerns you, and the law of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and that is impossible to accomplish through this website. Even though I am not your lawyer, if I should later become your lawyer no representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.