York, PA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband is being charge for stranguling me and i have to testify but i dont want to. I just wanted him to get

Arrested That night to teach him that i will not just let it go but never thought it would come down to all of this. I have mental issues and i cant handle this also i dont want him to serve time but i really want him to get some help. What should i do. This is really affecting my life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to contact the Assistant District Attorney handling your husband's case, and tell him/her your position on things. "Strangulation" is a relatively new statute in Pennsylvania, and it's a second-degree felony - punishable by a maximum of 10 years in jail. It's no joke.

Perhaps suggest that you'd prefer probation for your husband on a second-degree misdemeanor "simple assault" charge, with probationary conditions of anger management, domestic violence counseling or whatever "help" you think he needs.

Finally, remember this: when you call the cops, it's immediately out of your hands and lots of unintended things can (and usually do) happen. I'm not saying you were wrong for calling the cops, but I will say that you were wrong thinking you had any say in the matter once you dialed 911. Hard lesson learned for everyone involved. Best of luck to you and your husband.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.