Coupeville, WA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Washington

Q: can i sue for a wrongful death suit for the death of fiance'? we intended on marrying and we share a child.

my fiance' got ill. his mother allowed him to be transferred to a hospital he told me never to take him to. I disclosed that info to her and was ignored. me and him had previously written up a form placing one another as durable power of attorney's. I could not obtain a copy until the 3rd day he was there. The 4 and 5 day, the hospital gave me the run around. The document was enforced on day 6. The Family had been making all decisions, knowing we had a document like this, and had decided to withdrawal him from treatment. After the document was given, they manipulated me and told me they get to make the decision and they are deciding with the family. I was out numbered, in shock, and had just battled the doctors about transferring him due to me already arranging the transfer prior to arrival. The form did not give them the permission to decide. it gave permission to me. they withdrew treatment. My name is not on the DNR form, My name is not signed authorizing anything. what can i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: The child has a claim. Contact a member of the State of Washington Trial lawyers Association. They give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.