Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Kentucky

Q: How can a person be indited whit out being chraged of the crime i never recived a citation or court for

I was indited on theft by identity. I was picked up on other charge an relesed on it now im indited on this with no sitation no court date nothing just hurd i was indited is that legual an it isnt a sealed inditment

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Timothy Denison

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If you’ve been indicted, you have been charged. They are supposed to notify you or send a letter but many times that fails to happen. Contact your lawyer and have him arrange to appear for arraignment and get a date. Nothing illegal about any of it.

Kristin Michelle Russell agrees with this answer

Kristin Michelle Russell

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Yes, this is called a direct indictment. You should contact a criminal defense attorney immediately to find out if a warrant was issued on indictment and when your arraignment will be. Perhaps they tried to send a criminal summons to an old address?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.