Oklahoma City, OK asked in Bankruptcy for Oklahoma

Q: I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy and still have my car without reaffirmation?

It was my bankruptcy lawyers advice not to reaffirm on my vehicle and to continue to make monthly payments until a clear title was sent by the company who has the lien on the vehicle. It has been 3 months over a year now and I have not heard anything about a need for reaffirmation or received a clear title, even after making monthly payments.

Have I misunderstood what the lawyer explained to me or should I contact him about the situation and be patient?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Contact him about the situation snd be patient. Many times it is best not to reaffirm in a particular situation. As long as you continue paying for the car, they will not repo it. Sounds like his strategy may be to get you a clear title to the vehicle, but check in with him and talk it out.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.