Mount Pleasant, PA asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania

Q: Key duplication fraudulent

I bought security locks for my home from a company named BiLock. In order to get a duplicate key you must send a written authorization. I was at my parents home recuperating from surgeries on my leg. Oddly my driver license went missing for a short while and the card with the key code was missing until it “magically appeared “ again recently with paperwork in a folder along with my lease for a rental home I own. It appeared months after I had returned home.

I believe a duplicate was made without my permission by requesting the key online, filling out a paper authorization form which required my signature and a copy of my drivers license. I have written to the company for any aperwork pertaining to this

Ibelive this was done by my brother at the behest of my mother.

What legal statutes apply to forging a duplication authorization without my knowledge, and what of using a stolen key to enter my home without any permission and without my knowledge?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I suggest you contact your local police department. Let them handle it, and they'll also make a report of your concerns. While you're doing that, change your locks again for your own peace of mind.

Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.