Dunkirk, IN asked in Divorce, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Indiana

Q: Divorced 5 years ago. Husband awarded house in decree with no time limit to refinance. Still in both our names.

Property deed is still in both of our names. He recently wanted me to sign a contract for people to buy it on contract however the mortgage company said that was a breach of our loan so I declined to sign contract for sale. I have since learned he had his lawyer draw up new contract for sale and excluded my name for it. Is this legal? What should I do?

PS. In the last 4 months he has been late with payment 3 times! This is going to affect my credit :/

2 Lawyer Answers

Betsy Walits

  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You would file contempt charges against him if your order states he needs to take the house out of your name. Sounds like he has bad credit now so you’d have to ask the Judge to order the sale of the house.

1 user found this answer helpful

William J Webster

  • Westfield, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your name is on the mortgage, then yes his late payments will affect your credit. Since your name is on the house, he cannot legally transfer ownership without your consent.

I assume in your Divorce Decree he was awarded the house and agreed to maintain the payments. I recommend you file a contempt action with the Court. In your request state he has failed to timely make payments as Ordered and ask the Court to immediately list the house for sale.

Spring / Summer is typically a better time to sell a house, so I would file the contempt as soon as possible as it may be a month or so before you get a hearing and then even more time before you get an Order back from the Court.

If you have any additional questions or need assistance with the above, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.