Sicklerville, NJ asked in Construction Law, Contracts, Business Formation and Business Law for New Jersey

Q: My brother & I formed a site construction co. 3 yrs. ago, It was agreed that my name would not be listed as an owner

The agreement stipulated that the company would pay my back taxes of about $20000 in the first 6 months of operation at which time I would be listed as an owner.

I solely run the daily operations of this company,all clients were brought with me into this agreement.. In return for investing, my brother agreed he would retain 50% ownership & oversee the financing. We have no written contract, after 3 yrs. of operation & 7 million in receivables, he now has been funneling large sums of money to his personal use, ( 250,000 in materials for his house charged to the business, 4,500 to himself each month disguised as rent) and my back taxes still are not paid so I'm still not listed as an owner. Now with 3 million in contracts this year he has brought in his wife to handle the books which previously was done by my wife. I handle all other aspects of the operation ( bidding, contract negotiations, manpower , purchasing, collections, billing, customer service ) . Do I have any recourse .

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to retain an experienced litigation attorney who has experience in handling these types of cases. To properly answer your questions and address your concerns, the best way to handle this is by retaining an experienced litigation attorney. You need the best attorney you can afford, do not let geographic considerations be a factor in your choice of an attorney. Pick the best lawyer you can find and remember one rule: a good lawyer is generally never cheap, and a cheap lawyer is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Jingzhan Wang agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.