New Jersey Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: Circumventing exclusive distribution agreement - to sell into territory of an exclusive distributor

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Consumer Law, Contracts and Antitrust for New Jersey on
Answered on Dec 7, 2017

No it is not lawful and you could end up with criminal consequences.
View Details »

Q: Can a Brewpub in NJ sell beer online?

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Agricultural Law and Gov & Administrative Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 20, 2017

No. Only wine. With the the necessary license.
View Details »

Q: Can a NJ establishment that holds a plenary retail consumption license and restricted brewery license ship to consumers?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Agricultural Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 20, 2017

Plenary Retail Consumption License ("33")?

This license permits the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the licensed premises by the glass or other open container. The license also allows the sale of package goods for consumption off the licensed premises. These sales of package goods, however, may only take place from the principal public barroom, and the package goods may only be displayed for sale on the premises' perimeter walls or behind the bar, unless a floor plan was...
View Details »

Q: What business structure is right for us? What state should we form in? Is our initial approach sound?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 15, 2017

A good business lawyer would need to know much more information to give you the correct answer. I suggest you setup a consultation with one (lawyers charge for time and advise) and expect to pay a at least a few hundred dollars. But that small fee could save you thousands later on. Just for your interest many people set up corporations and LLC's themselves later to find out they did it wrong or should have done something differently in an operating agreement. Don't be penny wise and dollar...
View Details »

Q: My partner made a bad decision on behalf of our business and

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 1, 2017

Maybe, much more information would be needed to determine what your liability is. I suggest you start with a consultation with an experienced lawyer.
View Details »

Q: How should equity be divided among co-founders of a start-up?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Oct 20, 2017

Your question is not so much legal and more so a business decision. Perhaps it will be Pro rata to the initial Capital contributions or investment of each stakeholder? Perhaps it will be structured where one partner or member putting up all the cash and the other partner contributing Sweat Equity? However you decide to determine the stakeholders interest it is important that you have an attorney draft a shareholders agreement, operating agreement, or partnership agreement which memorializes...
View Details »

Q: So i have a question about a case. It was listed on Mcdonalds Website that today only they would be offering this sauce

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Consumer Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Oct 7, 2017

What would you be suing for? You have no damages.
View Details »

Q: Are law enforcement jobs aloud to open records that have been expunged. The charge was muncipal loitering non drug.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Oct 5, 2017

Yes many government jobs including law enforcement, the military and even some civil jobs can still see an expunged record such as government contractors that deal with sensitive issues. Your original charges and convictions can also still be seen on the internet, thus expungments are not the be all and end all they once were.
View Details »

Q: So with some consultation beforehand and coming to court with me for this one lawsuit would cost me about $2500?

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 27, 2017

Your question is unanswerable in its current form. Unless your are getting quoted a flat fee for representation in the lawsuit it is impossible to say that it will cost $2500.00. What are you getting sued for? Are experts going to be required? How many parties are involved? Is it in federal court or state court? These are some of the factors that will determine how much this lawsuit will end up costing you.
View Details »

Q: Is there any way of getting a lawyer for business bankruptcy pro bono?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 27, 2017

It really depends on what the matter is and how much time it will take. You could have lawyer fees for simple matters, being 2500, and from there it goes up. Can't say I have ever heard of Pro Bono for a Business
View Details »

Q: If my boyfriend decided to record our conversations that took place in our bedroom, is it

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Business Law, Civil Rights and Internet Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 24, 2017

If your boyfriend was a part of the conversation he is allowed to record it, as for the rest of our question I will leave that for other counsel to answer.
View Details »

Q: How much (average) will a lawyer cost me in nj (see more below)?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 21, 2017

No one could answer these issues online. The issue is whether the business is worth saving, how much you have personal liability for, and how much is involved.
View Details »

Q: questions regarding NJ Business license

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 19, 2017

A business registration certificate is completely different.
View Details »

Q: Client refuses to pay me, emails solidifying work agreement & project scope, payment terms for a 3-month contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 19, 2017

You need to retain counsel to handle this matter. Do not say anything to this person and print out and bring everything to an attorney, who can advise you. No contract should be drafted by anyone other than a licensed attorney. The money you spend having an attorney draft a contract will save you many times the cost if there is a problem. Good luck.
View Details »

Q: I opened a business with a silent partner. All paper work is in my name. He bought acouple of the equipment we use.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 17, 2017

Maybe it would depend on the terms of your operation agreement which I hope you have.
View Details »

Q: Me and my wife are the only shareholders of C Corporation. Can We issue 1099 misc to us from our company.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Sep 1, 2017

You can issue 1099's to yourself and your spouse for distributions from the company.
View Details »

Q: PA subcontractor setting modular homes in NJ? Need contract with contractor?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law and Real Estate Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Aug 17, 2017

You need to meet with a lawyer and have the lawyer review the laws with you and of course a lawyer will charge you for this. Not only do you have to worry about state laws but also local township ordinances on what you are allowed and not allowed to do.
View Details »

Q: what is the compensatory damages for contractor when a product is defective

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Business Law and Construction Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Aug 13, 2017

Difficult to say. You will likely have some finger-pointing. The manufacturer will say that your contractor did not heed warnings or instructions on the label. The contractor is blaming the defective product.

You problem is, that the claim is too small for most civil lawyers to want to handle. When no personal injury occurs, civil litigation attorneys usually won't sign on, to file suit.

You can go to small claims court, possibly.
View Details »

Q: If re-sell clothing with a copyrighted name on it but that name is an Acronym, can i still get in trouble legally?

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Copyright and Intellectual Property for New Jersey on
Answered on Jul 20, 2017

If they have a registered trademark in the US on the acronym for the band, selling t-shirts with that TM would be infringement. You should ask for a license since you indicate they do not sell merchandise. Whether a "reseller" or with a website disclaimer, the business you describe would not be lawful. (Lyrics are covered by copyright, and the same considerations apply.)
View Details »

Q: not sure which lawyer to choose/subject. my business is being sued for non payment of a business loan & large cc debt

3 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Bankruptcy and Collections for New Jersey on
Answered on Jul 18, 2017

You need to immediately retain an experienced bankruptcy attorney.That is the best and most cost effective way to handle this situation.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.