Worcester, MA asked in Domestic Violence and Small Claims for Massachusetts

Q: Would I be able to take my ex to court and win the case?

Back in October I had my ex boyfriend arrested for domestic violence. We had an apartment together but now he is legally not allowed here even tho his name is on the lease because I got a restraining order put on him. I’m severely struggling financially due to the fact that I was used to 2 incomes and now everything is on me. I can’t pay my bills. 30 minutes ago my electric was shut off and I have no way of paying anything. Since his name is on the lease would it be possible to bring him to court for money? example-half of the rent each, half of all bills etc. I’m extremely desperate and struggling and I don’t know what steps to take. I’m only 18 and I have no guidance or family to help me. What do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Espinosa
John Espinosa
  • Lowell, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You could file a small claims case in housing court https://www.mass.gov/service-details/small-claims-in-housing-court

Here is some info about utility shutoffs https://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/lt1-chapter-6-protections-against-shut-offs

For more help try calling legal aid in your area https://www.masslegalservices.org/findlegalaid

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.