Merchantville, NJ asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Aunt has custody hearing. Judge dismisses w/prejudice because of foster care pending fg matter for adoption. What to do

What further action can aunt take before this fg matter. Does she have a chance in appeals process?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bari Weinberger
Bari Weinberger
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Parsippany, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. I know how worried you must be about the custody and adoption hearing.

The short answer is that you should immediately contact an experienced family law lawyer. Interested parties have the right to petition the court in the “FG” or guardianship hearing to have their custody case heard before the Court. There are however strict deadlines and procedures for having your case heard before the Court. It is important to protect your interests and have an experienced family law lawyer advocate for your interests and ensure that both you and the child’s interests are protected.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.