Pawleys Island, SC asked in Employment Law for South Carolina

Q: Incorrect job classification results in unfair pay. Can I sue?

Employer informed job classification is lower than what is appropriate for the type of work I do. As a result, I’m being paid less than I should be. As job duties continue to increase, my salary has not been corrected. What can I do to receive fair compensation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeremy R. Summerlin
Jeremy R. Summerlin
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Unfair pay can be negotiated to a more fair salary amount, but there's no legal claim for it. The only exception is for cases where you have been misclassified as exempt from overtime pay but you are, in fact, working overtime hours without getting paid overtime (in other words, you might be getting a salary, but you don't supervise any employees or have discretion to make important decisions, and therefore should be getting overtime when you work more than 40 hours in a week). If you can't negotiate a fair amount of pay, you can always look for a better job elsewhere.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.