Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: My son hates going to his father's - he's 10 is there anything he can do so that he doesn't have to go? He hates it.

We have been divorced since 2009 (my son was 2) and as my son has gotten older, he hates going down to his father's - to the point it will make him sick. His dad is never around to spend time with him on his weekend, his new wife/children are mean to my son, and when he's there, he is to sleep on a mattress on the floor with hardly any blankets. There are times when I pick him up he is dirty and hungry because his "other family" treats him like garbage and accuse him of awful things. He's 10 and just hates going to his dad's...can't he decide who he wants to live with or see his dad when he wants to, not because of a court order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: The court order controls. If you dislike the court order, however, you can make a motion to modify it under certain circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.