Peoria, AZ asked in Child Custody for Maryland

Q: going after custody of my daughter would it be hard if she has been in the custody of her grandma for 8yrs? (Maryland)

i lost her when she was 3 months old i was 16 living in my moms house which was a disaster and i also have bipolar disorder. since this has happened i moved out of state to (Arizona) with my mom when she sold her house, leaving my daughter with her dad he won custody. eight years have passed I'm on medication now for my bipolar disorder, ive moved away from my mom and now live with my husband in a 3 bed room home. The grandmother i learned has had my daughter this whole time because her dad didn't want her but he fought for her to get away from having to pay child support. The grandmother lives with her mom and her 13 yr old daughter, as well as my 8 yr old daughter in a 2 bedroom home. the grandmother does not work she lives off her moms disability check. because of how much time has passed is it possible for me to get custody of my daughter? i have a 3 bedroom home she would have her own room. i do have a job and get up everyday to work. and i take medication for my bipolar.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nyasha A. West
Nyasha A. West
  • Lutherville Timonium, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: To modify custody in Maryland, you must show the court there is a material change in circumstances and that a modification of the existing child custody order is in the Best Interest of the Child.

In the scenario you have described, it appears you have undergone significant changes that have occurred since the entry of the initial order and that your daughter’s current living situation is adversely impacting her welfare and that continuing to live with her grandmother is in not in her best interest.

Showing the court that you have matured into a responsible adult by seeking help for your medical condition, maintaining employment, being in a stable relationship and living in a nice home will boltser your position. Additionally, that your daughter is not living with her father, per the child custody order, and that she appears to be in a dysfunctional environment will further support your position that living with you is in her best interest.

Child custody is a complex matter and is best handled by an experienced attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.