Lake Charles, LA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: What are the step parents rights and what can I do to change my custody to me? .

I found out recently the my kids dad and stepmom have been lying to my kids since december 2011 by claiming to them that I abandoned them after they moved in with their dad. The dad allowed the stepmom to be shown as the parental guardian instead of me on medical records, doctors appointment, school records, taxes, etc

The stepmom showed my kids texts from adult conversations without asking for permission I have had with the disagreements we have been with child custody.

the stepmom showed adult content to my kids that was on my oldest son facebook without asking me for permission.

the stepmom and dad both have bashed and swore at me and made false claims on texts that neither one have proof off.

I feel that they are detrimental to my kids and the relationship I have and I currently have joint care and custody, considered decree from an temporary judge and my lawyer or the judge did not submit a adequate parenting plan that states when I have visitation

1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to hire a family law attorney to establish a custody/visitation schedule and perhaps contempt for involving the children in adult matters. Step parents have no rights unless they adopt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.