Q: I have one question and that is --do judges and district attorney accept letters from families ?

my daughter was arrested for trespassing 2nd degree.

she is a crystal meth /heroin /bath salts user- she self injects including her legs - has had sepsis 3 times hospital. I do not want to ask for mercy I want them to know how bad things are....

I want the judge and or DA to know how her life is in danger and she needs long term rehab. She wont go.

I love my daughter - but she can con and lie unlike I have ever seen before.

She refuses all treatment - unless she is getting something out if it - ie suboxone / visitation ( we had her two sons removed per cps order).

I would beg the judge and DA to put her in long term inpatient rehab or the maximum punishment -she has no priors.

I am not being dramatic in saying this but my daughter is dying and I can not get help for her.

Trying to put this in a category but unable to find criminal law - i hope the boxes I checked are ok. Thank you very much for the time you took in reading this.

2 Lawyer Answers
Andrew S. Tabashneck
Andrew S. Tabashneck
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Williamsville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I am very sorry to hear your are going through this.

To answer your question, yes, you can most certainly send a letter to the judge and the district attorney. In fact, you could even call the district attorney, or the assistant district attorney assigned to the case, and ask to meet with her. It is very possible she may meet with you and you could address the concerns you have. At the same time, uou may want to be careful because, depending on the ada, you could bring your daughter even more problems. Hopefully, the ada understands your daughter needs treatment and everyone will be on the same page.

Regardless of whether the district attorney meets with you, you can certainly send a letter to the judge or the clerk of the judge. I highly recommend it. This will help the judge fully understand the situation and will provide a better understanding of what your daughter is going through.

Again, I a am very sorry that you are experiencing this. If you have any aditional questions feel free to call me at 716-526-7405 and I'll try to help you as much as I can.


Andrew S. Tabashneck, Esq.

Aubrey Claudius Galloway agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Aubrey Claudius Galloway
Aubrey Claudius Galloway
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Scarsdale, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Yes they do and they take them into account often… No guarantees but it couldn’t hurt

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.