Tacoma, WA asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oregon

Q: I got notice in the mail that I am going to be garnished, I never got served papers but they claim I did, what can I do?

How do I dispute this? I never got served papers, but when I called them they said someone answered the door and said they were me, I work during the day so I know for a fact I didn't receive any papers. So the person who "served papers" lied, cause I never got them. Do I have a legal case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Likely not - if you have some adequate grounds to dispute the validity of the Writ or the amounts being garnished, then you have a time frame to oppose it in court. If you haven't filed within that time frame and the Judge believes you were not timely served with the Writ, he/she might extend your time frame to object to it. But I don't see what claims you might have otherwise. They simply give you another set of the paperwork and how are you damaged? Besides, I don't know what you mean when you say you received notice of the Writ - the Writ can and normally is mailed to you rather than personally served, at least in Oregon where you have posted this (you are listed as being in Tacoma however...).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.