Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Antitrust for Oregon on
Q: How do I start a class action lawsuit against Ticketmaster for scalping, or price gouging tickets for a Nov 2023 concert

The tickets were being sold for outrageously high prices and there were third party tickets being sold on the Ticketmaster site with those high prices. When I attempted to buy a ticket the prices were not in my means. I kept returning to the website hoping for a price drop and the pop up msg on the... View More

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Sep 15, 2023

You don't identify why you think you have a claim. They routinely disclose that some of their tickets are being re-sold at higher than initial venue prices and may change at any time. You waited, then you pounced, only to find that you would have been better off waiting longer. That was a... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: Can a Jane Doe civil action be transfered between federal venues while maintaining Jane's anonymity?

In a federal diversity civil action brought in the District of Vermont (location of plaintiff), can the Jane Doe defendant, through her counsel, petition for a change of venue to the District of Oregon (her residence) while preserving her anonymity or must she reveal her identity to move the case?... View More

Brad  Holbrook
Brad Holbrook pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 9, 2023

Your questions rasie some questions. You mentioned "civil action" without specifically referencing what type of claim it is and why the Vermont has any jursidiction. If you have no ties to Vermont, then you cannot be subjected to personal jurisdiction there unless you consent and/or... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: I signed a contract under duress in a suicidal psychotic state that can be verified by my doctor. Can it be dismissed?

I signed a document under duress during a bipolar episode which my doctor can verify.

An animal shelter OBTAINED PROPERTY of pecuniary significance (a doctor prescribed emotional support animal) BY FALSE PRETENSE from an incapacitated person (in a mixed suicidal depressive psychotic state).... View More

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Jun 29, 2023

You are not likely to be able to disavow the contract and even if you did, it sounds like it cannot be reversed at this point. The most you are likely to possibly have is a claim for the market value of your now deceased cat - i.e. replacement cost. Unfortunately, in the legal world, pets are not... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oregon on
Q: How can I collect on a bad check? I sent a demand letter 30 days ago but haven't heard back.

The amount is $2,000.00. It is for agreed-on reimbursements for concrete work that was not performed. The check came back as 'fictitious' . The bank wouldn't give me anymore information. Do I take it to small claims court or somewhere else? I did send a demand letter 30 days ago with no success.

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Oct 31, 2022

The question really is whether you can actually collect a Judgment from the guy and if so, is it cost effective to try. If not, suing and trying to forcibly collect is a waste of time and money. If worth it, small claims court hha

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Is it legal for hazmat to be called close too floor but management not inform or evacute our building
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
answered on Sep 27, 2022

I am not sure if I understand your question. I understand it to mean that people with hazmat suits recommended closing all or part of a building and management did not follow the recommendation. I am not aware of any laws that require obedience to people wearing hazmat suits. However, if someone... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Insurance Bad Faith for Oregon on
Q: Can I sue my insurance company for stringing me along and not paying out on a claim that's affecting my work and housing

Right off the bat I had to sign a huge stack of papers which I was kind of unsure signing to begin with, but it was a relinquishing my the information from all bank accounts all of my person to person pay apps that. my call log on my phone all any phone records. I also had to provide phone numbers... View More

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
answered on Sep 21, 2022

You must have a basis to sue your insurance company. You cannot sue your car company merely for asking for documentation to support a claim you are making. To answer this question, more context is needed. What is the underlying claim you are making that would entitle you to insurance coverage?... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Oregon on
Q: Any regulations for a bank such as Chase to require both signatures if a check is made out to John Doe and Jane Doe?

Check was deposited to individuals account not a joint account and it was to be divided equally.

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Aug 24, 2022

They should require two signatures IF the check was made payable to one person and a second one. If it was just payable to the two names without the "and" included, then either could cash it with just their signature. Instead of "and", an "or" is legally implied.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: What can I do if I hit a settlement but I didn’t want a settlement I asked my attorney I want trial

I took my rental manager to court after giving me 6 eviction and not fixing a leak and mold grew then the floor needed to be replaced I gave my attorney all fotos with evidence but he only presented one of a wall with mold nothing els I should of gotten 3 times my rents work but only got 12000 i... View More

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Jul 1, 2022

If you didn't agree or want the settlement, you should have declined it, even firing your attorney if you believe it warranted. But now that you accepted it, you live with it. Own your actions - and regardless, the court is likely to require you to do exactly that.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims and Banking for Oregon on
Q: If you wire transfer money to someone and then realize it was fraud, how can you file a complaint to the court

if you don't know their physical address?

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Jun 29, 2022

You can file a complaint with your local police, with Oregon's Attorney General Consumer Fraud Division (can file online), and with the FBI who has a task force specifically aimed at this sort of fraud. All that said, the odds are extremely remote that any of them will actually do anything... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Collections for Oregon on
Q: I have a lot of negative equity debt from an old repossessed car loan. I have no income or assets, what can help w/ this

In Oregon, I had an old car that broke down but somehow skirted around my comprehensive, gap, and insurance coverage. I was in a desperate situation and the car it was replaced with was overly expensive and I ended up with $12k of negative equity on top that I wouldn't have been able to... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jun 7, 2023

Consult a competent bankruptcy professional to assess your current financial situation. Give n your status, Chapter 7 might be just right for you.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Bankruptcy, Banking and Collections for Oregon on
Q: If my money is stuck in a merchant gift card, can I charge back on my credit card to get my original funds back?

I pre-ordered products from a merchant and place the charges on my credit card. The timeframe was taking too long so instead of receiving any product, the merchant cashed me out at a higher price then I originally paid, but paid me with his store gift card. The merchant has since been shut down by... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Dec 14, 2022

You can try, yes.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Oregon on
Q: I created a new product for my regional food company. It appears it will be official and sold. Am I entitled.

I live in Washington state but work in Oregon

Erik Špila
Erik Špila
answered on Sep 2, 2022

This depends on if you created it as a company employee, or in your free time for yourself. It is sometimes hard to prove both of them. It all depends on jurisdiction. I would recommend you to contact local attorney to discuss this matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Estate Planning for Oregon on
Q: I just found a check addressed to my mom for a class action suit my mom expired 5/8/2017 the check is dated 7/18/2019

can this check be reissued into her daughter's name? It's for the BP / Arco class action 91$ & 94$

Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
answered on Feb 25, 2022

I recommend that you contact the Payor of each check to ask if they will reissue the checks. It's possible they may want you to file a small estate affidavit if no probate was previously filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Animal / Dog Law for Oregon on
Q: The girl I bought my puppy from is trying to sue me when there is no reason.

I was supposed to purchase a dog late September from this girl. She was not an experienced breeder and lied about multiple factors with this purchase. She wants to sue me because I haven’t had the money when she made me bring the dog home way sooner than I was ready for. We signed a paper saying... View More

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Nov 16, 2021

Apparently she is threatening to sue you for the money, so when you brought the dog home is totally irrelevant (and no, she did NOT "make" you bring it home early - you agreed to do so and need to take responsibility for your actions). Hopefully there is a writing specifying the sales... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Admiralty / Maritime and Lemon Law for Oregon on
Q: when purchasing a boat do rules like disclosure, or cancelling the deal come into play

put down payment on boat was told one thing about condition of transmission and found it to be otherwise went to cancel deal within 72 hours and was told that he was going to treat as a failed sale and consider it a voluntary repo and he doesn't have to give my money back when the whole time... View More

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Oct 26, 2021

There is no 72 hr cancellation privilege unless your sales contract provided one. But then there is not one for anything else either (one of the most popular misconceptions by consumers) except under the door to door solicitations rule (if a salesman sells you something at your front door without... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: How/where do I get compensated for hair loss from a hair product with misleading/false claims?

Hi, I’ve been looking for a lawyer to take my case, but with no avail. So I’ve been trying to do it on my own, but can’t. I would greatly appreciate knowing where or how I can get help getting compensation for this, if/what letter I can send, or if I have to go to small claims, etc.. Thank... View More

Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer
answered on Sep 24, 2021

There are few things more frustrating that companies that make promises to their customers, who rely on the promise, then only to find out that it is a lie. "Best Burgers in Town", "World-Famous Pizza", those all make us expect their products to be good--if not the best in town.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for Oregon on
Q: Have there been any cases upholding the current version of Oregon Revised Statutes: 73.0311?

Is a check marked "paid in full", and negotiated still a valid "accord and satisfaction" in Oregon, in a disputed matter?

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Sep 7, 2021

If you are asking if you write "Paid in Full" on a check's memo line and submit it for less than the full amount of the bill, and it is cashed, are you off the hook for the balance of the bill, the answer is NO. If you have a written agreement specifying the creditor is settling for... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: Can my landlord disable echeck and have me pay using my debit card on there website that charges 50$ on top of my rent

My landlord is having my family use their website and they disabled echeck so when we do pay for rent it charges 50$ extra on top of my rent

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Aug 17, 2021

IF you are allowed to also pay in cash or check, without a surcharge, and the credit card processing company charges the landlord $50 to process your payment, it may (or may not) be legal (the law specifies it may be legal under the above circumstances for the landlord to pass along charges for... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Oregon on
Q: Do I need to sign a new lease if they messed up on the original?

I received a notice that my rent was going to be increased on April 30th. I signed a new lease for an entire year. The amount that is stated on the lease is $1,378. Since April they have been billing me $1,462. I called and left them a voicemail yesterday letting them know that they're billing... View More

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Aug 12, 2021

If you have a valid fixed term lease, they are stuck and cannot raise your tent until it expires unless there is an unusual clause in your lease allowing for it or unless you voluntarily agree to modify or replace the lease - and why would you?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Banking and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: I deposited a check into my account that was not honored by my landlord’s bank. That was in May. When do I get my money?

Clackamas Housing Authority is my landlord. Check was for relocation which has already been completed at my expense.

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on Aug 11, 2021

Not clear why your landlord was paying you relocation money in May if you are still there, nor the reason the check bounced - one would presume that it was not for insufficient funds if the landlord was the Clackamas Housing Authority. It sounds as if the Housing Authority, for whatever reason,... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.