Fayetteville, AR asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Parole officer came to visit my ex''s friend but my girlfriend let them in and they called police and put paraphernalia

In my bag...I got arrested for nothing and then they planted meth in the cop car and said it was mine...can I sue the city?

1 Lawyer Answer
W. Whitfield Hyman
W. Whitfield Hyman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Only if you get a not guilty on the criminal charges and only if the people who helped planted the drugs were city employees.

Probably can't sue the city unless you can prove they had a custom or policy of doing this. However you would be able to sue the individuals responsible and they are probably insured by the city.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.