Richmond, VA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Virginia

Q: I was convicted of a property crime (breaking & entering/larceny) in 1980 or 81.

He was a friend, and we borrowed from one another often. This particular night, I borrowed his moped for an aquantance to get home. He was supposed to return the following morning, and did not. Police were called. I returned the moped, but the aquantance had a bad record, and I believe violated something, so even though my friend didn't want to, the state pressed charges. I made plea agreement, and pled guilty. Judge did not honor the agreement, and I got 5 years suspended, and a felony conviction. I had my civil rights restored by the Governor a few years back, and would like to petition the court for full restoration of rights, including the right to own/possess a firearm.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Miyares
Steve Miyares
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If your other rights were previously restored by the governor, then you may petition the Circuit Court in your jurisdiction for restoration of your firearm rights. I have handled several of these cases since Governor McAulliff reatored rights to many convicted felons a few years ago. You should consult with an attorney to answer questions and pursue restoration ootions about your particular situation. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.