Salem, OR asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: I need to evict a housemate due to illegal drug use (meth). She is not on the lease.

Originally 3 housemates on the lease in the home, one moved 2/3 way through lease and we sublet temporarily to someone. Lease is up in 6 weeks and we are giving the house up, however the temp roomie is using meth and we would like to evict, so wondering what my options are.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Not enough info here to know. Is subletting allowed by your lease (most do not allow it)? Who does this person pay her share of the rent to - the landlord or one of you roommates? IF she truly is just a co-tenants, you have no right to terminate her tenancy or evict you, anymore than she has the right to evict you. But there are ways to deal with this and/or there may be other options. The only way to know is for you to review everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney. Give one a call and make an appointment if you really want to know your options and legal rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.