Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Rhode Island

Q: Husband is cheating and verbally abusive to me and kids. I have family out of state. Can we go and I start a case there?

We are married. He is cheating and is verbally/emotionally abusive along with a history of drinking. I have family out of state that have opened their doors to the kids and me. Can I bring the kids there for safety and start a case for separation from the new state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: You may file the case in Rhode Island. The other state may have a residency requirement that could cause you to have to wait for up to a year before filing. Meet with a Rhode Island Divorce attorney to explore your options soonest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.