Austin, TX asked in Family Law and Divorce for Texas

Q: my husband owned a home prior to our marriage. after we were married he refinanced it in both our our names.

he has been making all of the payments on the house out of his personal account. Recently he refinanced the house put it in his name ( kept me on the tittle) took cash out and bought a boat. in a divorce in texas is the boat legally half mine?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr.
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas, everything earned during the marriage by each party is considered to be community property unless it can be shown otherwise. If he purchased the boat with community funds, it is presumed to be community property. Having an account in his name does not mean the account is his money. The funds belong to the community unless he can show otherwise.

If he purchased the home before the marriage, the home is separate property. You may be entitled to a claim for reimbursement, though. You need a good local family law attorney to represent you in this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.