Houston, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: My ex-wife (common law) filed for child support under the Uniform Interstate Family Support act.

However, there is no custody agreement established. Moreover, in her paperwork it shows that she is "single." How do I go about filing for custody since she took the children to a different state?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Stephen Lafleur
Eric Stephen Lafleur
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Allen, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You'll need to file a suit to establish custody orders in whatever State the children have been living in for the last 6 months. If they haven't been living in the new State for 6 months yet, you may still be able to file in the State they moved from. Contact a lawyer to assist you with this, since interstate proceedings really are not do-it-yourself issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.