North Providence, RI asked in Real Estate Law for Rhode Island

Q: I want to sign the deed of my home over to my son...I own my home out right and have no plans of selling it...

My son doesn't have my last name because I never married his mom...I did pay child support when he was young and 2 yrs ago put my name on his birth certificate as his father..We live in R.I. Can I give a 1- time gift???? What should I do??? I don't want to put him on the deed as joint tenents, I just want to give it to him so I can move out of state.....Is it a legal thing??? I need some answers

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Neville Bedford

  • East Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Speak to an attorney to discuss the impact of what you are considering. It may turn out that what you need is a will. There are tax implications you should consider as well. There are ways to achieve what you desire without having to give the house to him all at once.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.