Dallas, TX asked in Animal / Dog Law, Libel & Slander and Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: Received a dog from a woman and now being threatened and harassed.

We took in a male in tact dog from someone who said he had to go that day or he would be euthanized for biting. We agree to pay her $200 for him later. Situations arise and we have to ask her to temporarily watch him again after he bites me. She agrees and states she can only watch him for a few months. We recently picked him back up to bring him to the vet and decide to spend a few days socializing him. She threatens us to bring him back there by saying she will file civil suit and call the police saying we stole the dog, then tries to get us to pay her $500 as well ad give her a puppy. We have him on a veterinary plan and have sufficient evidence of her not being fit to be able to own a dog like that in the first place, can she take him back. We have already given her the original amount and stated if she had any qualms we would forward them to our attorney, however I don't want to go through the ordeal with my lawyers office over this. Could we also file a suit/restraining order.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I'm assuming you have a receipt or cancelled check for your original $200. If not, what were you thinking giving anyone more than $20 without a receipt? That being said, yes, your attorney can file a Petition for a Restraining Order. Record her calls, print her emails, screen shot, email and print her text messages, save her correspondence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.