Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: If I have been here since I was 12 years old and I am now 36. Came to US as an immigrant. Was petitioned by my father

Who Is a US citizen at the time. Would I be eligible to be a US citizen automatically without going through the interview process? I read something about that?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Shan Dimitris Potts

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hello,

You will still be required to pass the interview and meet the other requirements for naturalization. Talk to an immigration attorney about any other questions you might have.

All the best.

-Shan Potts


+1 (323) 803 7147

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates - www.facebook.com/pottsmartinez

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Carl Shusterman

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may have "derived" US citizenship through your father. Consult with an attorney experienced in derivative citizenship law.

Carl Shusterman


Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: There are a lot of variables that will determine whether or not you are. You say you were petitioned by your father; however, you don’t say if you ever applied for a green card. You also don’t say when your father became a citizen or if he was a citizen when you can to the US. Your best bet would be to invest in an immigration attorney’s time to see what your case is depending upon your individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.