Raleigh, NC asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for North Carolina

Q: I am paid 50% commission wage. The owner of the grooming shop I work at refunded the $ and is refusing to pay me?

I am an employee and she takes the taxes out of my check I do not fill out a 1099

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It depends on what the wage agreement, or promised wage, is with your employer. If the agreement is, for example, that you will be paid 50% of the gross of amount of all services, there is an argument that you should get paid whether the employer does or not. If the agreement does not say that, and the refund is made after the wage has already been paid, then it is likely a violation of the Wage and Hour Act. Unless we are talking about hundreds or thousands of dollars, it probably does not make sense to consult an attorney about this. So, I would recommend contacting the NC Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Bureau at www.nclabor.com.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.