Highland Home, AL asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Education Law for Alabama

Q: If divorce papers say child is to go to a certain school, what can be done if ex puts child in different school?

Child, supposedly, has not been enrolled in the other school yet. But my ex has said it is planned my child will go to school different from what divorce papers say.

2 Lawyer Answers

Mr. James Parrish Coleman

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: If your spouse sends the child to a school in violation of the order, you can file a motion with the Court that will allow your spouse to explain to the judge why he or she is not in contempt of the Court's order.

Michael L Capleone

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Vestavia Hills, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: It really depends on the language addressing this issue in the divorce decree. You would need to review that first to see if there is true violation of the Decree. Then if so, you could possibly file a petition with the Courts to have the other party found in contempt of the Divorce Decree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.