Alabama Education Law Questions & Answers

Q: My special needs sonis being singled out, punished, threatened, and bullied athis school no one will help can u help?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Alabama on
Answered on Oct 18, 2018
Gary Kollin's answer
I am sad to read about this matter.

I am struck that you would follows anyone's recommendation to physically punish your special needs child. Have you ever attended your child's IEP review?

Have you ever sought out the independent ombudsmen who assist in these situations?

Have you accepted responsibility for that incorrect physical punishment?

You stated they threatened him with criminal charges. Is this what you learned from your child who in one breath you...

Q: Am I able to get paperwork from the school?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Child Custody for Alabama on
Answered on Jun 6, 2018
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
You should have full access to such records if you have joint legal custody. If you have no custodial right you can't.

Q: If divorce papers say child is to go to a certain school, what can be done if ex puts child in different school?

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Education Law for Alabama on
Answered on Jun 2, 2018
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
If your spouse sends the child to a school in violation of the order, you can file a motion with the Court that will allow your spouse to explain to the judge why he or she is not in contempt of the Court's order.

Q: In Alabama could I get in any trouble for my attendance when I’m 17 years old. Could it effect having to repeat.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Answered on Dec 18, 2017
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
I assume you are asking if you can get in trouble for refusing to go to school? Yes, because you are 17 you could be the subject of a CHINS petition. Try your question again and give some details

Q: Hello, is my private school allowed to print off my text messages without my permission?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for Alabama on
Answered on Jul 23, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Don't see how they could have done that. Now they may have gotten your "message" from another person--the other person is free to print off anything you email or text them, give it or forward it to whoever they wish. Did they say they have all of your texts to anyone? I doubt it. Probably just texts you texted to someone else. If that someone else gave it to them, then nothing wrong on their part.

Q: A contract for my child's school requires signature of both parents, but only my wife signed. Is the contract valid?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for Alabama on
Answered on Nov 13, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
If your wife is the only one who signed it, she is probably the only one liable.

Yes, they can require her to pay without requiring others to do so.

Q: What do I need to do to finish school in another state??

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Alabama on
Answered on Jun 27, 2015
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
Please give a few facts. What are you trying to do? What school? College, high-school, what?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.